Our Customs and Beliefs
- Torah is the foundation of Jewish life.
- We are rabbinical Jews. Rabbinic Judaism is based on the belief that at Mt Sinai, Moses received from God the Written Torah in addition to an oral explanation, known as the Oral Torah that Moses transmitted to the people.
- We believe that Jewish law does not remain static, nor does it always carry the same value for Jews in different ages. It is the responsibility of each generation to understand and apply the general principles of Jewish Law in order to lead a good and meaningful life.
- We believe that the Tanakh contains a set of rules and values that are inspired by God, written by people and interpreted by each generation.
- We observe and celebrate Jewish festivals.
- We read some prayers in English.
- We observe the spirit of Kashrut in line with point 4 above. No meat is allowed in the Synagogue.
- We are an egalitarian congregation, meaning that there is total equality for men and women in all aspects of religious life.
- Boys and girls are bar/bat mitzvah with the same service at age 13.
- We support Israel as being a homeland for Jewish people
Kashrut at BKS
Beit Knesset Shalom Synagogue Brisbane Inc. is a dairy/vegetarian/kosher fish venue. All fresh vegetables and fruit are allowed. No meat or poultry and their derivatives may be cooked, consumed, or brought onto the synagogue grounds.
Kosher fish, chicken eggs and dairy products such as milk, cheese (non-animal rennet) and yogurt may be used in cooking and consumed on Synagogue premises.